There is a wide variation of the social activities in the real world. This is also true for online social activities. There are endless activities in Social Media Marketing (SMM). However, here is the tip of the iceburg:
Communicating Information & Expertise
- Microblogging (e.g. Twitter),
- Expertise sharing (e.g. Forum, LinkedIn & Yahoo Answers, etc.)
- Quick Sales & Support Communication, etc.
Sharing Online Resources
- News & Press Release sharing,
- Internet Resource sharing (e.g. Bookmarking),
- Image and Video sharing,
- Music/Audio sharing and Podcasting, etc.
- Social Networking & reaching target audience,
- Interest group participation,
- Community involvement & participation,
- Create supporters for Causes and Events, etc.
Branding and Reputation Building
- Branding and creating social attachment with a brand,
- Use vairous social media feature for Brand recommendation media,
- Maintain Corporate Transperency,
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR),
- Online Reputation Management, etc.
Search & Internet Marketing
- Search Engine Reputation Management (SERM)
- Increasing traffic and ROI for sites,
- Inbound Link Building (Both follow and not followed links), etc.